Our Careers Department is located in Heron House; situated by the pedestrian crossing on Forrest Hill Road.
Careers Counsellor & Head of Careers:
Mrs J Renton-Rooney Bachelor of Social Services, Dip Careers Guidance (professional member of CDANZ & CCDA)
Contact: DDI: (09) 410-1817 or email: [email protected]
Careers Assistant/ Star Co-ordinator:
Mrs K Norfield
Contact: Ph: (09) 410-8667 or email: [email protected]
Login with your details email access the Careers page
What does the Careers Department offer?
Free access to one-to-one career counselling
All students can access this service with Mrs Renton-Rooney by booking an appointment at the Heron House main desk. Parents or caregivers are most welcome to attend these appointments.
All 7th form students are encouraged to seek advice early and Mrs Renton-Rooney attempts to see each and every 7th former in his final year.
Help with selecting your career
- Make an appointment to see the Careers Adviser. Discuss your interests, talents and aspirations – and where they might lead you.
- What subjects you will need for further study, where this study will lead you.
- Information on polytechnic/trade courses.
- TEC fully-funded courses.
- Employment opportunities – part-time jobs.
- How to write a good CV and cover letter, interview skills.
- Degree/diploma courses – how to design your own course plan.
- Pre-degree/foundation courses and how to staircase.
- Degree structure.
- Entry requirements – what you need to gain entry to courses.
- Subject selection advice.
- University Scholarship information.
Star courses are Ministry-funded courses of between two and four days’ duration in a tertiary environment as tasters for students who are considering these particular areas as a career. Here are some examples:
- Pre-military/police training – run by Advance Training Centres Ltd
- Audio Engineering & Intro to DJ’ing – run by MAINZ
- Barista and Café Server – run by NZ School of Food & Wine
- Photography – run by The Photo School
- Plumbing – run by G&H Training
- Animal Care – run by Oracle Animal Care
- First Aid – run by Pacificmedicare (certificate valid for 2 years)
These courses usually run in the school holidays. Students must apply for these with Mrs Shepheard.
We also organise the following:
- University Open Days. The main tertiary providers for Auckland students are University of Auckland, AUT, Massey University, Otago University and UNITEC. Students will be told in advance about these and given the opportunity to go.
- Annual combined Westlake Boys/Girls High School Careers Evening. This is held here at Westlake Boys around June each year. This is a huge event not to be missed. Between 50 to 60 tertiary providers including the major universities attend. Other providers include Defence Forces personnel, ETCO, Swiss Hotel Management, PricewaterhouseCoopers, BCITO (Building and Construction) and Dairy New Zealand to name just a few!
- During Term 3 we assist students with completion of enrolment, accommodation information and scholarship information. Students can now download their application forms directly from the university websites.
- Defensive Driving courses. These are run after school in our careers room by an AA certified instructor at a very competitive rate.
Join us on Facebook
Westlake Boys Careers Page