Physical Education


Physical Education

A University Endorsed Subject.

pe1 pe2 pe3

Roles & Responsibilities

Head of Faculty & CIE Coordinator: Mr C. Meredith

Assistant HOF & Level 2, 3 & Scholarship Coordinator: Mr M. Butler
HOD Health: Mr T. Strydom
Level 1 Coordinator: Mr R. Scivier

Sports Leadership Coordinator: Mr J. McIntyre

 

2013 Examination result highlights:

 

Scholarship

6 Physical Education Scholarships including one outstanding scholarship – 15 Entrants equalling a 40% success rate (Nationally it’s 2.8%!!!).

 

CIE

GCSE:  Top in New Zealand (Logan Hunt).  100% pass rate.

AS: 80% A-B, 100% pass rate.

AL: Top in the world (Max Rogers) 100% pass rate.

 

NCEA

Level 1:  Over 69% of PE students get endorsed, 55% at level 2 and 72% at level 3

Level 2:  55% endorsed at level 2

Level 3:  72% endorsed at level 3

Physical Education at Westlake Boys’ High School

The Westlake Boys’ High School Physical Education Department has a tradition of providing excellence and innovation both within and outside the classroom. Students enjoy the courses offered and have shown a willingness to excel at both a collective and individual level, within the dual pathway system. Recent First in the World Cambridge results and the award of Outstanding Scholarships in NCEA, are testament to this.

Junior Physical Education

Physical Education is compulsory for all students at Westlake Boys’ High School at 3rd and 4th form level. The junior PE & Health programme aims to give students a broad range of experiences and opportunities in a number of sports and physical activities.

Areas covered include: International and Inventive games, Net games, Invasion games, Sport Education, Fitness & Athletics, Gymnastics, and Individual and Team games.

pe4

Core teaching concepts include:

  • Assessment for Learning (AFL). (Peer assessment, peer/group review, teacher as facilitator);
  • Leadership development, social responsibility and opportunity;
  • Competition;
  • Respect, understanding and pride in self, others and performance improvement;
  • Fitness development and understanding;
  • Education of both mind and body together;
  • Critical thinking;
  • Literacy and communication.

Key Competencies used extensively by students and teachers include:

  • Thinking skills;
  • Relating to others;
  • Using language, symbols and text;
  • Managing self and relating to others;
  • Participation and contribution.

pe5

Year 11 IGCSE Physical Education

The CIE – IGCSE course consists of both practical and theoretical elements. Students will be assessed on their individual skills and ability to analyse performance in 4 selected sports totalling 60% of their final mark. The remaining 40% is based on a written examination on the areas of Factors affecting Performance, Health, Safety and Training and Reasons for Participation in Physical Activity.

Year 12/13 AS Physical Education

The CIE – AS course consists of 3 core theoretical areas; Physiology and Anatomy, Skill Acquisition and Psychology, and Contemporary Issues. These three areas are examined and make up 70% of the course. The remaining 30% involves students being assessed on their practical ability in two sports. 7th form students may take this course if they have not studied Physical Education in the 6th form.

Year13 A Level Physical Education

The CIE – A level course consists of 3 core theoretical areas; Exercise & Sport Physiology, Psychology of Sport Performance and Olympic Games – A Global Perspective. These three areas are examined and make up 70% of the course. The remaining 30% involves students being assessed on their practical ability in two sports.

Year 11 NCEA Level 1

All students are encouraged to participate in this course. It contains 24 credits and all key achievement lines are covered from the national curriculum. This course has an extensive practical base and is designed to allow students to gain knowledge of a range
of factors that will influence their health and wellbeing.

Year12 NCEA Level 2

This course has a credit value of 19. Its content includes: learning a range of physical activities, study of the theoretical aspects
of sport and physical education, leadership, safety and participation, and designing a range of fitness or training programmes.

Year 13 NCEA Level 3

This 24 credit course involves the design, plan, implementation and evaluation of an exercise programme designed to improve lifestyle or performance. Students also develop their performance in a selected sport by following a skill improvement programme.