March 6th 2017 Sports Report

1st XI v King’s College
Westlake Boys High School returned home in the fifth round of the one-day competition, as they looked to continue the momentum from the last two matches. King’s won the toss and selected to field. Kings were able to take advantage of the conditions and had Westlake 2-28 after 12 overs. Ryan Schierhout was back from injury and batting at number three, he played a destructive innings, scoring 89 off 62 balls, including 6 sixes. The rest of the batsmen were unable to follow Schierhout’ s lead as King’s restricted Westlake to 192, with Schierhout’ s innings the only one of substance. Westlake would have to bowl well in order to come out on top. It was Luke Ranson who created inroads, returning solid figures of 3/ 20. He was supported from the other end with Ryan Quinn taking two very crucial wickets (2/10) and Sam Brewis also taking two (2/17). Westlake won the match by 36 runs, thanks to a great team effort in the field and a phenomenal knock by Schierhout.
2nd XI v King’s College 2nd XI:
Westlake were sent in to bat on a slow wicket at King’s but a solid batting foundation was set once again by Josh Hamilton (31), who batted patiently, and Sid Mahajan (71). Westlake set a competitive total of 206/6. King’s were never really in the chase with Trent Walker (2-16) taking early wickets and a flurry of run-outs sealing a 125 run win.

3rd XI v Sacred Heart 2nd XI
Westlake Boys 3rd XI lost the toss and were asked to bowl. Unfortunately, several catches were dropped, which helped Sacred Heart get to a sizable total of 255/5. Aditya Chemburkar and Alec Binnie were the pick of the bowlers with 2-35 and 2-36 respectively. A valiant effort was made in the run chase, with Flynn Goodley-Hollister scoring 37, Luke Trafford 27, Aditya 25 and Alec 21. Unfortunately, Westlake only made 180 in the chase and lost by 75 runs.

Colts 1 v St. Kentigern College
Round 4 saw Colts 1 travel to the picturesque Wainoni to play St. Kentigern College. Batting first St Kentigern College made a steady start but then tight bowling and outstanding fielding limited them to 135/9 at the end of their innings. The most successful bowler was BJ Jacobs with 3 wickets for 2 runs and he was well supported by Dylan Hamilton, Max Harbottle and Regan Diver with 2 wickets each. Unfortunately for Colts 1 they were not able to get on top of the St. Kentigern bowlers and were bowled out for 92 incurring a loss by 43 runs.

Colts 3 v Long Bay Colts
Long Bay won the toss and elected to bowl on a damp, drizzly morning. Luke Cameron (55) and Matthew Gell (39) opened the batting and got Westlake off to a very good start. Dan Titchener added a valuable 17 runs before Steven Lydiard (22 not out) and Ben Ruscoe (17) got Colts 3 to a respectable 231/8 in 40 overs. Sam Avis and Luke Cameron opened the bowling with an economical eight over spell, before Esuru Nanayakkara and Risith Kankanamge (2/12 in 3 overs) removed the Long Bay College top order. A good team effort continued to bring wickets regularly. Luke Cameron then finished the innings by bowling the tail out, with 2-14. A great effort from Colts 3 who remain unbeaten this year.

The Premier a Tennis team played a very powerful St Kentigern College on Saturday and suffered a 6-0 loss. Harry Browning and Aden Borlase-Mills played well to win a set and go to tie-breakers. Team: Leo Cho, Harry Browning, Bailey Sutton, Aden Borlase-Mills.

Westlake Boys vs St. Kentigern College
The Premier Water Polo team made a very strong start in the first quarter and it was an exhausting fight to keep the score close, after Zach Newton-Cross and Korban Kirk gained Westlake two goals. The St. Kentigern defence was exceptional and very hard to score against, and their attack scored some goals to put themselves on the board.
Leading into the second quarter, the opposition adapted to the Westlake attack which made Westlake’s job even harder. Tired from the first quarter, Westlake struggled to hold together, allowing fatigue to kick in. St. Kentigern took advantage of this and managed to bump up the lead quite convincingly. However, Stuart Hofmeyr made four excellent saves, reducing the opposition’s score to 5-2 at half time.
Westlake improved in the third quarter with a strong attack. Campbell Knowles secured two superb goals and Corban Wedlock-Aston one. The team attempted 7 shots which was a great performance, but could only successfully put 3 into the back of the net. The fourth quarter was rather quiet as Westlake attempted to catch up to the strong St. Kentigern side. Kyle Shears was able to score a great distance goal into the top corner, putting Westlake a step closer to St. Kentigern but they could not overtake them. James Tyras performed very well in the last quarter, making 4 great saves and preventing the goal difference from becoming greater.
The game ended 9-6 to St. Kentigern College, but the Westlake team showed promise with defensive play as well as team-work.