Football and Rugby Reports – 10th June 2017


First XI Football Home v Mount Roskill Grammar – 9th June 2017

Starting XI:

  1. Williams, J. Woods, H. Piper, E. Tessadri, C. Foulds, M. Lamont, R. Wynne, B. Kelly, J. Benbow, J. Olivier, M. Conroy


  1. Scopas (on for B. Williams 65th minute), A. Al-Majumei (on for M. Conroy 75th minute) D. Hobson (unused), D. Mitten (on for R. Wynne 60th minute), L. Wilson (unused)

Half time score – 3-0

Full time score – 6-0

Scorers – J. Benbow 2, J. Olivier, M. Lamont, B. Kelly, A. Al-Majumei

The First XI hosted Mount Roskill Grammar on the QBE Artificial Turf on Friday night and welcomed backed Head Coach, Neil Emblen from his sojourn with the NZ U20 World Cup team. Knowing that a win would likely lift Westlake into 3rd place on the table, the team set about their task with purpose and precision.

Westlake found themselves in front in the second minute of the game and this settled any nerves or apprehension they may have had. A quality delivery from the cultured left foot of Jordan Olivier saw a scramble in the box. Captain Kelly was brave as he seized on an opportunity to poke the ball home from close range, kick starting a really positive evening for the home side in the process.

The lead was doubled inside the first 15 minutes as a ball down the line from wing back, Jackson Woods, brought to life the jet heeled striker, Matt Conroy. His pace, which unsettled MRGS all night, easily beat his marker and his cut back found a waiting Jordan Olivier. A great first touch set the attacking midfielder up for a simple tap in and with it, Westlake’s attack minded tactics had sprang to life.

The third and final goal of the first half was a real moment of individual brilliance from holding midfield player, Matt Lamont. The commanding and composed player found himself on the ball a full 30 yards from goal, he set himself with one touch and arrowed a superb strike that beat the keeper, cannoned off the underside of the crossbar and bounced into the net – a real moment to savour for him in his maiden season.

With a three goal lead, the Westlake side returned to the changing rooms in a commanding position and safe in the knowledge that if they carried on playing such offensive and penetrative football, they would see another three points chalked beside their name.

The First XI very much did what was asked of them at half time and the second half started much as the first ended, with Westlake fully in command and attacking at will.

Goal number four, came courtesy of striker Joe Benbow, who was put into a crossing position by Woods. Although the industrious forward looked to pick out a recipient for his cross, fortuitously for Benbow, the ball arced beyond the Goalkeeper’s reach and into the net.

Benbow wasn’t finished with his scoring for the evening however and in the 75th minute, he had his brace. A great cross from Jackson Woods would see the Goalkeeper only parry it out a short distance and onto the waiting head of Benbow. The striker’s looping header beat the keeper and the First XI now had their fifth goal. By this stage the bench had already been cleared and it was one of the substitutes who would cap the evening. A deep corner was headed back across the box by Enzo Tessadri and the first player to react in the 6 yard box was Abdul Al-Majumei, who wrapped his foot around the ball and powered it home.

Westlake must be given credit for an assured performance that will give them much confidence; six goals and a clean sheet was a fitting outcome for team, who had prepared diligently throughout the week. From start to finish the side dominated possession and created numerous chances, whilst being largely untroubled in defensive areas, owing to some good performances from the three centre backs.

With a full strength squad now at his disposal, Coach Emblen has the type of quandary he has waited for all season – having to pick his starting XI from a larger number of quality, committed and determined players.

The First XI will look to build upon this result when they travel to St. Peter’s College on 16th June for a 6pm kick off.


1st XV v Rosmini – 10th June 2017

The scene was set for another epic battle between the two leading North Harbour teams. Rosmini had everything to play for including winning back the Woodhouse Shield.

From the kick-off it was evident that this was going to be another tough battle. Rosmini kicked off and immediately put Westlake under pressure. An attempted clearance kick was charged down and Westlake were judged off side. Rosmini decided to kick into the corner and after a couple of phases went over and scored to great jubilation. The Rosmini defence soaked up the pressure and it took a full 25 minutes before Westlake opened the scoring when Lotu Inisi used his strength to get over for a try. Rosmini replied immediately by kicking a penalty to regain the lead. The Westlake backs started gaining ascendency and made inroads into the Rosmini defence. It was no surprise that just before half time Baylee Katipa made his way over for a well-deserved try. Rosmini closed the gap through a penalty in the 40th minute, just before the half-time whistle.

In the second half, Westlake dominated territory and possession. A solid Rosmini defence and a lack of patience by Westlake kept the score very close until Nikau Drage left his defenders flatfooted and scored under the posts. It was only late in the second half that Preston Smith-Owen scored the bonus point try.

This match concluded the first round of the competition and next week we travel to Orewa College. Westlake retained the Woodhouse shield and need another three defences in the forthcoming games against Whanagarei, Rangitoto and Massey to win the right to put our name on the shield again.

Scoreboard: Westlake 28 Rosmini 13 (Half time 14 – 13)

Tries: Lotu Inisi, Baylee Katipa; Nikau Drage, Preston Smith-Owen

Conversions: Johnny Cooper (4)


2nd XV v Northcote College, 3rd XV v Takapuna Grammar

Once again the 2ndXV were in try-scoring form. The team are playing some really good rugby characterised by their wingers scoring in the corners. By half time they had a healthy 26-7 lead over Northcote College. By full time they stretched it out to 61-19. The real test for this team will be next week’s home game against Mahurangi 1stXV who have also been winning by similar margins. 

The 3rds saw some great tries by Jackson Hemmingsen and Luke Mihaljevich. The team didn’t make life easy for themselves however, letting Takapuna 2ndXV back into the game. It took a try by Zac Stevenson to win back the lead and with it the game. The final score was 17-15.

The 5As were defeated by an on-form Kelston side, but in true Westlake spirit a good number of the team returned to the school to cheer the firsts on.


Team Opposition Venue Time Result Score
1st XV Rosmini 1st XV WBHS 1 12.00pm W 28-13
2nd XV Northcote 1st XV Northcote 12.00pm W 61-19
3rd XV Takapuna 2nd XV WBHS 1 9.30am W 17-15
4th XV Albany Senior 1st XV WBHS 2 9.30am L 17-19
4A King’s College King’s 10.30am L ??
5A Kelston BHS Kelston 10.40am L 12-29
5B Albany Jnr WBHS 2 10.40am L 20-33
6A Rosmini B Rosmini 9.30am W 33-5
6B Takapuna A WBHS 3 10.40am Friendly game
7 Green Kaipara College A Kaipara 9.30am W 72-17
7 Red Takapuna A Takapuna 9.30am L 17-20