2017 Westlake Boys Sports Awards Dinner, Friday 3 November 2017
On Friday 3 November, we held our annual Sports Awards Dinner and shared our many outstanding student achievements with 450 parents, guests, and staff in the Auditorium. Guest speaker Joe Sullivan spoke about the highlights from his distinguished careers in Rowing and Sailing. He also discussed many of the attributes and traits that he believes are essential to success in any field, this was an insightful and inspiring speech from someone who has won both an Olympic Gold Medal and the America’s Cup in recent years.
The night was filled with many accolades in all of our sports (75 trophies were given away on the evening) as well as close to 50 Year 13 students who received their Colour’s Awards. Colour’s Awards are now given exclusively to Year 13 as a commemorative coin, to acknowledge the loyalty, service and positive contribution they have made to their respective Premier teams.
The winners of our Special Awards on the evening were:
- Bev Russell Award for Top Student Coach – Cain Nutall
- Brett Hart Trophy for Team of the Year – Senior Cross Country (Joe Clark, Murdoch McIntyre, David Moore, Stuart Hofmeyr, Zach Keenan and Daniel Robertson)
- Alf Butt Trophy for True Sportsmanship – Reuben Fitzgerald
- Colin Pascoe Cup for Outstanding Attitude and Sportsmanship – Jason Churches
- Simon Bryan Awards for Outstanding Achievement – Connor Bell and Finn Kennard-Campbell
- Arblaster Cup for Sportsman of the Year – Oscar Guo
Our Staff Recognition Awards for Coaching/Managing went to:
- Andrew Clarke – Cycling
- Christel Labuschagne – Touch, Rugby and Rugby League
- Ryan Scivier – Cricket and Football
- Ashley James – Rugby and Sevens
- Marilyn Thorpe – Badminton
The night was capped off by each attendee receiving a booklet that highlighted the sporting year in full. A fantastic keepsake for all students that have played Premier sport in 2017. If you are keen to get a copy, please contact [email protected]
Our sporting highlights video for year (made by Tracey McKay) can be seen by clicking on the link below:
Our event photographers, Tracey McKay and Year 12 photography students, Shaun Lee and Do Yeong Kim did a great job of capturing photographs of our award winners, students, families, staff and guests. You can view them via this link https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaDnvYN
Particular thanks go to Deb Hodge and Liz Peters for their outstanding planning and preparation in the lead up to the event.