Rugby: Blues Play Off Final

MATCH REPORT Saturday 27 August 2016

1st XV vs Mount Albert Grammar School


The following quote from the SKY Sport College Rugby Facebook page was all that was needed to motivate our team to arguably one of their best performances of the season.

Both sides only lost one competition game in 2016, but despite Westlake achieving their biggest win in the North Harbour final in a decade it’s hard to see them getting close to MAGS…….The sheer size of the MAGS pack will be tough for Westlake to contain.”

A brilliant individual effort from Arikitoia Hood-Kaitapu opened the scoring midway through the first half. Ariki received a pass from Fine Inisi after Jack Heighton had created an overlap on the outside. Ariki then side stepped his wing and ran the 45 metres to score in the corner. The kick was unsuccessful into the strong wind. MAGS replied soon after with a try to level the scores before the break.

After the break Westlake were put under pressure and in this period of 15 minutes, MAGS added to their score with a try and a penalty to lead 13 – 5. Westlake were not done and Keepa Wiki kicked a penalty to close the gap. Jacob Katipa then broke the line and set up a possible try but the MAGS defence turned over the ball. The attacks were relentless by both sides using different tactics. MAGS used their big forward pack to make ground while Jack Heighton was comfortable putting the ball behind the MAGS backs to keep them pinned in their own half. Keepa Wiki had a chance to kick another penalty but pushed the ball wide. Westlake finished stronger but we were unable to get across the line again.

No-one but the team themselves believed that it would be so close and the boys left everything on the field. The defensive effort was monumental and while Westlake may have had less possession at the end of the game, they managed at times to stretch MAGS.

Scoreboard: Mt Albert Grammar School 13 – Westlake 8 (Half time 5 – 5)

Tries: Arikitoia Hood-Kaitapu

Penalty: Keepa Wiki