Westlake Boys High School is the premier Athletics, Cross Country and Distance Running School in Auckland, with a long and proud history that has produced many fine athletes. Our Junior and Senior athletes alike have experienced considerable success both on the local, national and international stage.
Some recent individual successes at National Level include:
- Dan Hoy: New Zealand Secondary Schools Athletics and Cross Country Representative 2014 and 2015
- Joseph Clark: New Zealand Secondary Schools Cross Country Representative 2015
- Hamish Gill: New Zealand Secondary Schools Athletics Representative 2014
- Hamish Gill: Senior Boys’ Long Jump Champion New Zealand Secondary Schools Athletics Championships 2014
- Murdoch McIntyre: Year 9 Boys Bronze Medallist New Zealand Secondary Schools Cross Country Championships 2015
- Joseph Clark: Junior Boys Silver Medallist New Zealand Secondary Schools Road Running Championships 2014
- Joe Jackson: Junior Boys Bronze Medallist New Zealand Secondary Schools Road Running Championships 2014
Some recent individual successes at Regional Level include:
- Dan Hoy: Auckland Senior 3000m Champion – 8:31.00 Auckland Record 2015
- Stuart Hofmeyr: North Island Junior 1500m Champion 2015
- Matt Conroy: Auckland Junior Boys 800m Champion 2015
- Anthony Nobilo: Auckland Intermediate Boys Hammer Throw Champion 2015
- Luke Johnson: Auckland Senior Boys 200m Champion 2015
- Triple Gold at the Auckland Regional Cross Country Championships 2015: Dan Hoy Senior Boys 6km Champion; Joseph Clark Intermediate Boys 4km Champion; Stuart Hofmeyr Junior Boys 4km Champion
In addition, Westlake Cross Country and Road Running Teams have competed in twenty nine competitions in 2015 and were crowned as the champions twelfth times, with twelfth silver and one bronze place finish. In the 2014/2015 season, Westlake were New Zealand Road Running and Cross Country Champions; Auckland Cross Country and Road Running Champions.
The major competitions we currently compete in are:
- North Harbour Champs of Champs Athletics
- North Island Secondary Schools Athletics Championships
- Auckland Secondary Schools Cross Country and Road Running Championships
- New Zealand Secondary Schools Cross Country Championships
- New Zealand Secondary Schools Road Running Championships
- New Zealand Secondary Schools Track and Field Championships
To provide our boys the opportunity to experience competition at an International level, a group of top and development runners will tour South Africa and Kenya in 2017, the seventh time over the last 9 years, which will once again be a lifetime experience for our boys.
To identify, nurture and motivate we also organise a Distance Running Training Camp for our Year 9 boys in April every year. The school coaches offer guidance and training that are suited to all levels of ability and experience. While training and competition is always encouraged, promoting an active lifestyle and improvement in track and field throughout the entire year is the main priority.
Training takes place on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday after school and also on a Tuesday and Thursday morning at 7.15am. Training is under the guidance of Mr Theuns Strydom, a qualified and experienced middle distance and high jump coach.
Teachers in charge: Mr T Strydom (Distance Running) and Mr M Butler (Athletics)